Wednesday, December 10, 2008

you want me to what?

i don't like to switch lines at the grocery store. inevitably when you switch they have some computer glitch or need to check a price or some other drama that delays the deed to twice as long. i really didn't want to, but then.... the previous customer zipped through and he stood there waiting for me. we exchanged pleasantries, i gave him my store card for the discounts. he then looked me in the eye and said: "would you like to sing something today for our customers?" i stared back at him while i considered taking my pulse to see if i had temporarily lost consciousness and was hallucinating. he continued: " i asked my boss if i could ask people to do this today, he said no, but i'm doing it anyway." realizing i was indeed awake, i replied "you don't know who you're asking, i am a singer as a matter of fact and i have programmed myself to say yes to such a request, and therefore am awaiting your selection of a christmas song." he checked me out (my groceries that is) and just as i thought he had changed his mind about the whole thing, he made his selection. he dialed up the intercom on the phone, handed it to me and i verily rendered my sweetest few bars of "white christmas" to the aisles of cans, boxes, deli, produce and unsuspecting customers. i handed him the phone, he asked for a round of applause in my name. i smiled graciously, took my bows and exited with paper not plastic. clerks thanked me on the way out. what a wonderful surprise... on more levels than i can begin to count.

one last thing to add: i passed a hair salon on the way home... the business name was: curl up and dye.

2 comments:

Monica said...

haha curl up and die. that's truly original!

but back to the singing thing...holy crap! that was so meant to be! what are the odds just happened to ask an opera singer. You never know what's going to happen in Denver. You probably made everyones day. You made mine and I wasn't even there! LOVE YOU MAMA! Keep on being awesome!

Lauren Thompsinario said...

my mouth is still agape and my eyes are moist...you are my hero.